Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TRANCE in TURI

Is It a ceremony ? A ritual ? Or a simple show ? Whatever the Jathilan “moment” is something special in the life of the villagers, here in Sleman region, especially in this particular area of Merapi surrounding, where legends and myths are still very alive.
Difficult to classify what is supposed to cover a large range of human existence. Mixing pieces of ancient legends with demon, horsemen, king…. The Rāmāyaṇa is still played as a huge success in Prambanan temple, with local believes where trance and pawing regulate the good health of the people’s spirit, the whole being one of the rare cultural events in those villages where entertainment isn’t that much….
Let’s see …
























































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it real trans, or some sort of imitation? Yeah, this is photographer's paradise...
S.

Jeffe Castan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeffe Castan said...

I cannot answer to this question. Is that real trance or some trick. I can just testify of some things I have seen with my own eyes.
- Some of them have a real empty look...
- Some people from the audiance get into the play and start to act like in trance...
- I saw some simulation, and it doesn't look the same...
Now. The psychology of the people here is really based on a culture of "spirit and demon and Gods". We are in asia, where hindouism is still very strong in the mentality.
Probabely, some kind of self-motivation, that de-hinibate the behavior, make it easier to get in trance...
I am more into this, a cultural good ground for magic.
I saw with my eyes some "stuff"...
Self-persuasion can be very powerful...
and...
Photographes's paradise is where you are, wherever it is ... My philosophy ...

The Mantra Of Devi said...

I have been going in this particular of Jathilan ritual many times. And I see it with my own eyes where the "Pawang" able to control the possessed horse rider or "kuda lumping". It's real.
You gotta see it to believe it....